Date:      Mon, 09 Feb 1998 10:26:51 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Excessive crashing of Netscape?

Donald Burr wrote:
> I just installed Netscape (Communicator 4.04, the dynamically-linked
> FreeBSD binary version) from the ports tree.
>
> Unfortunately, I am having some problems with it.
>
> On the whole, it seems to work ok; however, sometimes the program dies
> (for no apparent reason) with a SIGBUS.
>
> Also, it locks up a lot.  The lock up is complete (the little
> "meteor shower" stops showering, and the process can't be killed - I have
> to use a 'kill -KILL' to get rid of it).
>
> These things don't happen regularly -- I can be using Netscape perfectly
> for hours and hours (my last Netscape process was running for over five
> days before it went belly-up), and it crashes/hangs through different
> actions (i.e. there is not one single set of actions that I can isolate
> that cause it to die).
>
> My system is a P133 with 32MB EDO RAM and 3.2GB disk, running
> 2.2.5-RELEASE (a clean install).
>
> Is anyone else having this problem with Netscape?  Does the Linux version
> work better?  Any ideas what might be going wrong here?

I run Netscape 4.04 regularly on FreeBSD and Solaris SPARC boxes,
and those problems happen with both machine types, identically.
I think that the problem is in the UNIX port of Netscape.

-- JM
Jose M. Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del Pais Vasco              | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electronica     |
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-4-4647700 x2624
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-4-4858139