Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 2002 00:32:03 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        robert at castley dot com <robert@castley.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail hangs on start in 4.6

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 11:16:24PM +0100, robert at castley dot com wrote:
> Doing a minimal install of 4.6 when I reboot sendmail hangs for a while.
> When looking at the sendmail maillog it reports something to do with
> IPV6 !!!  Do I need to configure my NIC with IPV6 on the install because
> currently I say no and just configure a normal IP address.

That could well be the msp sendmail trying to do DNS lookups for the
::1 address, which is the IPv6 version of 127.0.0.1. As
/usr/share/sendmail/cf/README says:

                Note: if localhost doesn't resolve to the IP address
                of your local system (127.0.0.1 or ::1 for IPv6),
                then you either need to fix your hostname resolution
                (localhost and localhost.YOUR.DOMAIN should resolve
                to that address by convention) or you need to specify
                the IP address as argument, e.g.,

                        FEATURE(`msp', `[127.0.0.1]')

So there's two ways of fixing that.  Either set up DNS so that it can
resolve ::1 to localhost and localhost.dom.ain (and vice versa), or tell
sendmail not to use IPv6.  The latter is easier.  Simply copy
/etc/mail/freebsd.submit.mc to yourhostname.submit.mc and edit it to read:

divert(-1)
#
# Copyright (c) 2001, 2002 Sendmail, Inc. and its suppliers.
#       All rights reserved.
#
# By using this file, you agree to the terms and conditions set
# forth in the LICENSE file which can be found at the top level of
# the sendmail distribution.
#
#

#
#  This is the prototype file for a set-group-ID sm-msp sendmail that
#  acts as a initial mail submission program.
#

divert(0)dnl
VERSIONID(`$Id: submit.mc,v 8.6 2002/03/26 03:30:58 ca Exp $')
define(`confCF_VERSION', `Submit')dnl
define(`__OSTYPE__',`')dnl dirty hack to keep proto.m4 from complaining
define(`_USE_DECNET_SYNTAX_', `1')dnl support DECnet
define(`confTIME_ZONE', `USE_TZ')dnl
FEATURE(`msp', `[127.0.0.1]')dnl

Now append a line:

SENDMAIL_SUBMIT_MC=/etc/mail/yourhostname.submit.mc

to /etc/make.conf, then cd /etc/mail and type:

    make
    make install
    make restart-mspq

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK