Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 2002 23:29:39 -0500
From:      Dan Peck <peckdani@msu.edu>
To:        Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HTML display within nautilus?

Two things, first, make sure your using the run-mozilla script, as
opposed to just  using nautilus. And if that doesn't work, the really
nasty way.

It dies with the error saying that nautilus-moz-view failed (or
something to that effect, it's been a while).  This is it's own program
(ie, you can run nautilus-moz-view from the command line).  To fix, try
doing this, and it will give you more details as why.  If it's the same
as I had, the problem is that it cant find one of the mozilla shared
libraries, even though it really exists.  After doing the
nautilus-moz-view, run find or locate or whatever to find the location
of this share library.  When you know the path, run

	ldconfig -m /path/to/missing/lib

after you've ldconfiged, do a nautilus-clean, and try again, it should
work. You may consider writing a simple shell script for
/usr/local/etc/rc.d so that this can be automagically done everytime you
start your machine.  Good Luck

-Dano

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 09:15:45PM -0500, Paul Mather wrote:
> I've installed (and re-installed) GNOME and Nautilus on my FreeBSD
> 4.5-STABLE system, yet I can't seem to get nautilus to display HTML
> files or otherwise handle HTTP URLs.  Every time I try to display a HTML
> file in the file manager, or click on a link in the News sidebar, for
> example, nautilus will pop up a dialogue saying the Web view could not
> be created.  The only way I can display the content is explicitly to
> open with one of the other provided alternatives e.g., "Open with
> Netscape..."
>
> I built GNOME from /usr/ports/x11/gnome (via a vanilla "make install"),
> and rebuilt it just today after updating my ports via cvsup.  But, I get
> the same thing.  Has anyone else had this problem, or is everyone else
> happily displaying HTML within nautilus?
>
> I note that, by default, nautilus is built with an embedded mozilla.
> The odd thing is that I subsequently built the full mozilla, and *it*
> works without problems...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul.
>
> e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu
>
> "Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production
>  deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."
>         --- Frank Vincent Zappa

"Your theory is cray, but it's not crazy enough to be true."
--Neils Bohr.