Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 13:01:48 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
To:        lem@cantv.net (Luis Munoz)
Cc:        eischen@vigrid.com, mrcpu@internetcds.com, wilko@yedi.iaf.nl, FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: comments on de driver error message?

> FWIW, I had the same configuration (with switches instead of hubs)
> and were getting the same errors in a couple of boxes.
>
> When I certified the patch cords of the top two machines appearing
> in the logs with a WireScope 155 I found one of them bad. After
> replacing both of them, I've seen no more messages like those.
>
> At first I was bitching about the cheap cards or the driver but hey,
> it was the cable. What stroke me is that even with an expensive
> cable-testing device one of the cables was 'good'!
>
> Regards.
>
> -lem

One other thing to consider though. Most other ethernet drivers in FreeBSD
don't report the errors at all. de is just talkative. So, just because the
driver complains of a crc error once or twice a day, doesn't mean you really
need to go out and change cables. If you had picked another card, you
wouldn't even know the problem existed.

(After mucking with lanmeters, swapping cables, and even swapping cards and
switches, I gave up looking for the demon that caused my error's, and just
commented the errors out)

On an unrelated note: Anyone here see 'ghost' packets from 55:55:55:55:55:55
or aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa floating around? I've seen cards report packets from
these addresses, my switch end up with them in it's tables, and even my
lanmeter saw them a few times..... AC noise?

Kevin