Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 1999 20:42:37 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding soundcards to newpcm

Doug Rabson wrote:

> > Well, I finally decided to try to get my sound card working again.
> > It is not detected as a PNP device, but rather as a motherboard
> > resource using PNPBIOS. It is supposed to be an ESS1869 and, indeed,
> > I use ESS drivers on Windows. But Compaq obviously decided to lay
> > it's fingerprints on the poor thing. Here is the (relavant parts of)
> > dmesg:
>
> Use this program. It translates to/from EISAIDs.

Well, I got farther, but no luck yet. The device is identified, but
incorrectly:

pcm0: <ESS1888> at port 0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 1 on isa0

it still shows up in the PNPBIOS information,  though:

unknown: <CPQb0ac> can't assign resources

Finally, cat sndstat shows yet another thing:

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Nov 17 1999 19:30:14
Installed devices:
pcm0: <ESS1868 rev 11> at io 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 (1/1 channels)

Also, I have a warning showing up:

WARNING: "pca" is usurping "pca"'s cdevsw[]

(yes, I have pca in my kernel)

When I try to output something to dsp or audio, it just blocks
without doing anything. Mixer *apparently* works. I can't hear
anything, but at least it sets and retrieves values.

Anyone seen such behavior?

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Then again maybe not going to heaven would be a blessing. Relkin
liked a certain amount of peace and harmony, since there'd been a
pronounced shortage of them in his own life; however, nothing but
peace and harmony, forever and forever? He wasn't sure about that.
And no beer? Very dubious proposition."