Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 17:47:30 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Greg" <codewolf@earthlink.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Configuring console

> How do I configure console to clear screen before it displays login
prompt?
> I know how to do it during logout but how to do it when booting up?

I usually create an /etc/issue file with one character - a CTRL-L.  This has
the effect of clearing the screen before displaying a login prompt (under
cons25 and vt100 emulations, at least.)  If you're using FreeBSD 4.2 or
earlier, you'll have to edit /etc/gettytab for this to work.

--
Matt Emmerton