Date:      10 Jul 2002 22:40:46 +0200
From:      "Georg-W. Koltermann" <Georg.Koltermann@mscsoftware.com>
To:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD OS version for HotSpot (was: 1.3.1 patchset 7 not quite ready)

Am Mi, 2002-07-10 um 12.29 schrieb Bill Huey:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 12:16:58PM +0200, K.J.Koster@kpn.com wrote:
>
> [HotSpot under -current]
>
> > Way to go!
>
> Heh, it seems to work better under -current too without the funny
> SIGUSR1 stuff. That's my suggested platform exploration at this time. ;)
>
> -current seems to be pretty stable enough for my daily use. If anybody
> has a different perspective on this, then please speak up.
>
> bill

Yes, that was my opinion, too, about eight months ago. At that time I
jumped in to -current, and I really had a fine time with it.

However, there is this continuous work of keeping up with
"what-is-broken-today" and finding workarounds.  Recently, e.g., there
was some brokenness in fsck(8) and dump(8) which are both pretty vital
to mee.

So, since you a while ago stated you did your HotSpot work with a
patched libc_r in -stable, I last weekend went back to 4.6-RELEASE (with
the plan to continue on to -stable).

It seems this was really bad timing, as you now prefer -current :-(
...and I have been waiting for HotSpot since sooooooo long.

Do you think there will be a HotSpot patchset for -stable at all? Would
you suggest that I come back to -current now?  I did make a backup of my
-current before I switched :-))))

--
Regards,
Georg