Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 1995 13:02:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jan@bagend.atl.ga.us (Jan Isley)
To:        phk@ref.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New "release candidate floppies" available

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> > > This floppy set does not crash when I request no MBR writing.
> > > However, it has done something stranger still.  Upon rebooting
> > > after the install, I do not get the OS/2 BM screen, I get a
> > > cleared screen and then "Strike a key to reboot".  To recover
> >
> > Hmmm.  To be honest, I'm not sure what happens in that case!  I would
> > have thought that libdisk would have left the MBR boot area completely
> > untouched, but evidently not!  I only call Set_Boot_Mgr() if I want to

> Hmm, In that case it will set the FreeBSD slice active, since we have
> no other way to get freebsd booted afterwards...

I am installing FreeBSD on wd1 and it indeed makes that slice active,
but it should not touch wd0.  OS/2 BM is on wd0 and after an encounter
with FreeBSD sysinstall, there are no partitions marked active on wd0.

> Could you go into the (undocumented) 'W'izard mode and email me the
> output ?

you mean type -w at the floppy boot prompt?  sure?  which output so
I know what to look for?
--
Jan Isley
jan@bagend.atl.ga.us