Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 21:08:20 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        Momma Bear Trish <trish@listmistress.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dummynet issues

> So anyway, as you know, we use freebsd for firewalling, and would like to
> do rate limiting, every time I enable dummynet in my firewall config, it
> seems to cause major issues (disconnects on ssh sessions, very very slow
> sites, when the actual bandwidth usage is far below what I set the cap at)
>
> Any insight would be helpful.

there are many things which can go wrong. A common mistake is to
push all traffic from a bridged segment into a dummynet pipe,
with the result that all the background traffi saturates your
pipe and gives the symptoms you mention.

To tell more i'd have to know a bit more on how you use the firewall
(is this a bridge or router), your config, your pipe
setting, and last not least the FreeBSD version you are using
(there are known bugs with some).

	cheers
	luigi