Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 14:30:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        babolo@links.ru (Aleksandr A.Babaylov)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, pete@bowtie.nl, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: using dd to make backup of disk?

Aleksandr A.Babaylov wrote,
> Crist J. Clark writes:
> > Peter Weijmarshausen wrote,
> > > Before you all start mailing me about how stupid it
> > > is to use dd as a backup mechanism: I use this in
> > > order to maintain an instant bootable backup.
> > > So if the primary disk crashes I unplug it, reboot the
> > > system and I have a working system again.
> >
> > Why is,
> >
> > # cd backupfs
> > # dump -0af - origfs | restore -rf -
> >
> > Any less 'instant?' And 'dump' is meant to handle live filesystems.
> dd is much faster.
> boot codes and disk labels are not copied by dump|restore
> only ufs (and ext2fs) can be copied by dump|restore

That idea kind of scares me. You are assuming the two disks involved
have identical geometries and characteristics when copying a
disklabel. It just seems to me that dump|restore is a much safer
alternative. Write the bootblocks and disklabel the backup
manually once, then backup filesystems periodically. How often would
the bootsectors and label change?