Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 18:43:19 +1000
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>, Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, Freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB keyboard attach function?

On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 10:18:13AM +0200, Nick Hibma wrote:

>I've heard of no one trying, but I (we!) would love to hear whether you
>get this to work.
>
>There is not problem is using two keyboards at the same time, but I am
>not sure whether X can already handle more than one keyboard attached to
>a system. I don't think that you can specify the keyboard /dev/ entry
>int he X configuration.

That's correct, but we're planning to allow the Device to be specified in
XFree86 4.0.

>Try looking at the XFree pages. I remember someone asking me whether
>this would be possible soon in FreeBSD because they were working on
>support for multiple keyboards.

Supporting multiple keyboards with a single X server should be relatively
easy.  Supporting multiple X servers on the same host will be difficult
because of video hardware resource sharing/control issues, specifically
for the legacy VGA resources.  In our initial approach with XFree86 4.0,
the X server will assume control of all of the VGA-compatible video
hardware so that it can do the necessary coordination of access to the
VGA resources.  As Amancio implied, it should be possible to do better
than that for hardware that has a PCI class/subclass that indicates no
VGA core.

David