Date:      Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:25:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mervin McDougall <mcd_advisory@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Password revelation

Here is something I noticed when installing freebsd 5.3 on my laptop. At the point where Freebsd asks whether you want to make any users and presents you with the screen where you can add users to your system during the installation process, I noticed that after entering the password...you can reveal the password by simply pressing the back arrow. I am not sure if that is true on all bsd installations but while installing 5.3 I noticed that though the keys were concealed with asterisks when typing , pressing the back arrow revealed the keys that were pressed and the password for the new user.

I think its best that the admin be nowhere next to the user if he is setting up an account for him/her