Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 2002 00:12:38 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew McKay <andy@openirc.co.uk>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Per-release installation instructions?

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Nik Clayton wrote:

> I wonder if it's worth pulling the installation instructions (i.e.,
> chapter 2 of the Handbook) out in to its own document, and branching it.

Yes, I'd say it is.  Installation instructions don't change *majorly*
per-release but some changing subtleties can be the difference between
'flawless install' and 'window broken by high velocity computer'.

> Turns out that he'd looked at the online release notes for 4.5, which
> have a link to chapter 2 for installation.  And buried in the online
> Handbook is a note that the XFree version that's installed is version 4.

Which wouldn't happen if there was a branched version of the doc linked
from relnotes.  Indeed.  But...

> . . . except that he was doing this research *before* he'd installed
> FreeBSD.  So there's a chicken and egg situation.

...it doesn't aid the situation where someone is installing fbsd on a
second computer from, for example, 4.5 CDs, and reading the online docs.
But as that's just a restatement of the current status quo it's not really
a 'new' problem caused by such a change.

> Thoughts?

In other words...it gets my vote because it improves the situation for
some users and stays the same for others so overall it would be an
improvement.

Andy

p.s. I have been quiet lately.  Life became crazy.  I think it should
settle down by the end of June so then I WILL have a chance to get some of
my promised workload done :)

--
Andrew McKay <andy@openirc.co.uk>