Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 1997 00:15:05 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@mailhost.coppe.ufrj.br>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: releng22.freebsd.org ftp

>#define quoting(Jordan K. Hubbard)
>// > Dumb question 724:  Is there some specific reason why the
>// > ftp service on releng22.freebsd.org doesn't allow one to:
>// >
>// > get 2.2-970814-RELENG.tar
>//
>// That is a feature of wu-ftpd.  releng22.freebsd.org is running
>// the stock FreeBSD ftpd and probably won't change anytime soon.
>
>But ftp.cdrom.com does not use wu-ftpd and supports this.  Are these
>DG's private patches ?  Any chance of these getting integrated to
>the stock ftp in FreeBSD ?

   "dg-ftpd" is originally based on wu-ftpd and retains many of it's most
important features. The problem with wu-ftpd was that it was big, bloated
("feature rich"), and slow. dg-ftpd is small and fast, but is tailored to
the exact environment we have on wcarchive and lacks many features that
many people think are important. I have no plans on releasing dg-ftpd.

-DG

David Greenman