Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 07:23:12 -0800
From:      richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
Cc:        bcohen@bpecreative.com, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Firewall vs. Black Ice

Summary for the impatient: moving parts are bad.

"I always have to laugh, because it's $160-180, and it's probably not too
configurable."

I do not believe that there is any basis for considering a PC more reliable
than a router.

PCs generally have removable parts. This is good, because you can replace
them; but it is bad, because they can move about and become disconnected; the
interconnections between the components are at risk. And we all know how
often a mysterious problem has been resolved by reseating the boards.

It is generally a rule of thumb amongst mechanical engineers that there is a
direct proportion between the number of moving parts in a given device and
the probability that it will cease working as a result of these moving parts.

In the case of a PC running PicoBSD, I would expect that the floppy would be
the first to go - regardless of whether PicoBSD reads the floppy after
bootup, repeatedly, or only reads the floppy once, and loads itself into
memory.

I haven't played with PicoBSD so I don't know if it has the capacity to log
data to a hard drive but if it does that's your second probable point of
failure. How many messages have you read over the past week from people whose
drives were making noise? I count two or three.

I encourage folks to secure their perimeters with multiple devices, which
operate upon network traffic sequentially (IE, packets reach box B only by
passing through box A).

I would never encourage people to confuse potentially useful "choke point"
hardware with the firewall itself; those whom bother to read the previous
message from me on this thread, in full, will see that I never said anything
else.

('The Screensavers'. What is this? The made-for-TV action drama based on the
fish tank? :-)

-- richard

--
Richard A. Childers
Senor UNIX Administrator

# Providing administrative expertise (not 'damage control') since 1986.
# PGP fingerprint: 7EFF 164A E878 7B04 8E9F  32B6 72C2 D8A2 582C 4AFA