Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 12:55:43 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
Cc:        jkh@freebsd.org, freebsd-qa@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysinstall in 3.2-19991215-STABLE...

> 	- Sig 11 was generated while selecting Linux emulation after already
> 	having installed it as a package. I don't know if its one affecting
> 	the other, or whether picking the Linux emulator off the Startup menu
> 	will always cause a sig 11 (I'll do more testing tonight).

Very odd, but I'll certainly look into this.  Odd because nothing has
been changed in this area of code.

> 	- Use of Return and Space bar appears inconsistent and
> 	counter-intuituive.In the "old" version, space would select, or move
> 	you down a level, ENTER would exit and move up a level. The new method
> 	is a nightmare mix.

Hmmm, really?  Much of what I did was an attempt to *homogenize* the
menu behavior.  It was quite inconsistent before and I even fixed a
bug in libdialog which prevented spaces from working in certain
circumstances.  Can you be more specific about when and where it
transitions from being reasonable to being yuck?

> 	- Linux_glide (the package) still generates an error message. This
> 	screws up the underlying (Post Configuration) menu screen. This
> 	causes problems after the packages are installed, as the menu is now
> 	difficult to use.

Urk, really?  How odd - it's not supposed to have any access at all to
VTY0!  Again, can you give me a reproduction sequence?  Just a simple
matter of installing it off the package menu?

> 	- As an aside to the above, the package-install screen goes back to
> 	the post-install screen when you select "INSTALL". Messages about
> 	package installs are now tiled OVER the post configuration window (used
> 	to be a blank screen).

I can add a screen clear here, no problem.

> 	- Menus do not consistently have an "EXIT" option to move upwards. This

Actually, they're more consistent now in that respect.  Many items
with SELECTION_RETURNS set (which means that any selection leaves the
menu) had Exit items and those were essentially redundant.  Likewise
Exit items in checklist or radiolist menus - not very useful.  If you
have specific examples of stuff that's hosed, please let me know
though.

> 	- Highlighting of first character in menus is inconsistent. This makes
> 	a number of menus look ugly (this is cosmetic).

Actually, it's much more consistent now.  We had duplicate accelerators
for just about everything before and accelerators weren't even useful
as a consequence.  Now the long menus use accelerators to get to the
first entry of each alphabet-sorted grouping.

- Jordan