Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 1995 20:47:23 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jason@purcell.jlc.net (Jason T. Nelson)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: seg violations..

Jason T. Nelson stands accused of saying:
> yeah, I know), and AHA-2490 SCSI adaptor (PCI). The machine seems to boot
> happily enough (but complaining that the system's base mem is only 639k),
> but after trying to compile a new kernel, the compile dies of a
> segmentation violation! Occationally, it also panics the machine,
> reporting a page fault:
>
> fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>
> fault virtual address = 0xefebeffc
> [ blah blah blah blah ]
>
> Anybody have an idea what's going on here?

Sounds like a memory/cache problem, but may possibly be due to a race
condition in the 2940 driver.  Ask Justin Gibbs
(gibbs@estienne.cs.berkeley.edu) for a pointer to the new driver.  Obviously
you're having problems building a new kernel - either he or I or someone
else may be able to build you one that covers the problem.

I would still be more suspicious of your hardware.

> Jason T. Nelson <jason@jlc.net>

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[