Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 1996 10:07:49 -0600
From:      Tony Kimball <alk@Think.COM>
To:        lehey.pad@sni.de
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stty -echo -nl, emacs

   Date: Tue, 2 Apr 96 10:40:00 MET DST
   From: Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>

   > I am using es, sans editline/readline.

   I don't know that one.  Is it new?

Extensible Shell.  A lambda-calc shell based on Plan 9's rc.
There was a USENIX paper on it a couple of years ago.

   You probably want to set erase to ^H and kill to (say) ^U here.

Kinda moot under Emacs, tho.

   The rest of the stty stuff looks fine.  I can't see anything that's
   appending the ^M, so I assume it's the shell.

Same as sh, csh, and no combination of flags that I have found will
stop it.  Oh well, I can fix it in lisp.

   I see the ^Ms, but I'm confused.  Above, you said 'es', now you're
   saying 'ash'.  To the best of my knowledge, neither are standard with
   FreeBSD, though I at least know of ash.

I should rather have said 'FreeBSD sh' than 'ash'.

   Do you have a particular
   reason to want to stay with this shell?

Can't hardly get away from it ;-)