Date:      Tue, 08 Apr 1997 11:13:14 -0400
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   pci probes with multiple "units"

What is the preferred method (assuming that there is more than one
way to do it) to handle multiple multiport devices in Freebsd. It seems
(I could be wrong) that the *first* adapter always probes/attaches as unit
0 (even if the declaration is...

device de4

for example), the *second* as 1, etc.  If you have 2 boards with 4 ports
each, logically you would like to declare:

device de0
device de4

and have the device names correspond to the actual port device
numbers, but I suspect that this won't work (I  havent actually tried
it yet).

It can certainly be done manually by calling if_attach with the correct
number, but is there a better, physical way to do it so that the probes
are done with the root/first port on the board?

thanks,

Dennis