Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 06:34:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Clapper <bmc@WillsCreek.COM>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape

Doug White wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Oct 1997, Brian Clapper wrote:
>
> > > There's no need to use the Linux version of FreeBSD, though it works.
> > > Use the BSDI versions or (4.08) the FreeBSD version.  Take a look in
> > > the Ports Collection.
> >
> > Make sure you have plenty of RAM if you use the Communicator version.
> > While the Communicator version is slicker than the older Navigator, it's
> > serious bloatware.  (I *like* Communicator better, but it *is* a pig.)
>
> There's a Navigator-standalone version of 4.03b8.
>
> I'm tempted to try this but I'm short on diskspace.  Netscape 2.02 has
> finally become obsoleted -- I can't access dell's and diamond/supra's web
> pages w/o it.  :(

I did try it.  It *still* sucks up more RAM than I'd like.  Granted, I
should beef up my system; it only has 24 Mb.  But the difference in memory
bloat between 3.0 and Communicator is significant.  On my box, Communicator
is notably sluggish, compared to 3.0 (and compared to Communicator on
machines at work, where I have more RAM).
-----
Brian Clapper, bmc@WillsCreek.COM, http://WWW.WillsCreek.COM/
TV is chewing gum for the eyes.
        -- Frank Lloyd Wright