Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 2014 17:31:49 +0200
From:      beeessdee@ruggedinbox.com
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   vt(4) "newcons" and 80x25 vty? (tested: 10.1-BETA2)

I daily use FreeBSD with base system virtual terminals (no X).  I am
excited of vt(4) with Unicodes support.  But screen has arbitrary number
of lines and columns, whatever will fit with selected font.  How to get
standard 80x25?

First of all, thanks to ray and the various "ed"s for all the hard work
making the newcons/vt(4) modern subsystem.  This is very important, and
much less appreciated than shiny popular widgets!  I very much look
forward to when vt(4) has the stability and feature parity with
decades-old syscons... plus all the critical new features for
non-English language, etc.

I just tested in 10.1-BETA2 with following steps; specific questions are
below:

	1. Drop to loader prompt, "set kern.vty=vt", "boot".

	2. Drop from installer to "live system".

	3. kldload appropriate kms driver (could also do in step 1).

	4. vidfont(1) has bug which prevents selecting Gallant (12x22
	biggest font provided).  So, use vidcontrol(1) with "-f" switch
	directly.

	5. Try setting LINES and COLS in environment, at least fool
	the applications...  Not working, really.

vidcontrol(1) is totally confused about screen modes. I understand this
is work in progress.

I read every manpage, https://wiki.freebsd.org/Newcons , searched web.

Why this is important:  If I edit source code in vi(1), my lines will
become too long.  Other applications expecting the 80x25 or other
customary sizes may be confused.  Most of all, I want the fonts bigger -
as big as fit 80x25 on my physical screen.  I have poor eyesight!

Quick calc example for optimal font sizing:  At the common nowadays
resolution of 1366x768, biggest pixel fitting 80x25 will be 17x30.  For
tty style fonts with 2:1 ratio, this means 15x30 font with 166x18 waste
pixels HxW - unless extra pixel row needed after each line, in which
case 14x28 font with 246x43 waste pixels.  A 12x22 font (as gallant)
with extra 1px row spacing results in 113x33 character grid - or if
restricted to 80x25 grid (how!?), then 406x193 waste pixels.

Questions:

	A. How to force 80x25 terminal, even if it does not use
	whole screen?  This will be the quick workaround!

	B. Where are sources for Gallant?  What program is used to
	create it?  A brief web search did not reveal this.

	C. Any work in font besides Gallant?  (Sorry, it is matter
	of taste!)  I would try make my own, but I am not font
	talent.

	D. Any suggestions from font guys of non-Xorg program to
	rasterize OpenType fonts, make Metafont rasters into
	the appropriate format, etc.?

	E. Side question:  Is vgl(3) being supported or replaced with
	vt(4) newcons?  (Have not tested; but at the brief look, it
	all ioctls changed around.)

	F. How to set screen resolution, with not working vidcontrol(1)?

Suggestions:

* Dynamically created raster font, from vector sources, to create at
runtime the largest glyphs which will permit 80 columns and 25 lines
at the screen's actual resolution.  Just like most tex systems
automatically run mf when needed.  I could maybe play with this, if
I have time and the font sources.

* Try converting metafont output to the appropriate format.  It's
already tuned for to give old fashioned pixmap.  I will play with this
when time permits.

I realize, most people just use X.  But, please do not forget people who
don't like the Xorg bugware disaster.

Thanks again for all hard work to make the vt(4) newcons.