Date:      Tue, 05 Aug 2008 07:03:43 -0400
From:      "," <email@guice.ath.cx>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        Daniel Bye <freebsd-questions@slightlystrange.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel, shutdow now, fsck -p -- NO WRITE ACCESS

Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 18:37:28 -0400, email <email@guice.ath.cx> wrote:
>
>> I thank you.  In addition, I am quite sure the command we are referred
>> to in "23.4.5 Drop to Single User Mode" is in fact 'shutdown now' and
>> not 'shutdown -r now'.
>>

> While "shutdown now" puts you into SUM at once, not unmounting
> anything, "shutdown -r now" reboots the system and it's up to
> you to enter SUM via kernel interruption and "boot -s", and in
> this state, nothing is mounted.

Hi, thanks for your reply.  I wasn't discussing the difference between
'shutdown now' and 'shutdown -r now'; my concern was it appears that the
fbsd handbook section I was reading, with regards to "REBUILDING WORLD",
instructed the reader to do a 'shutdown now' instead of a proper
'shutdown -r now', which in turn caused me grief when attempting to run
'fsck -p'.

Once again I thank you for your reply.