Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:59:24 -0500
From:      Stephan Uphoff <ups@tree.com>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Aykut KARA <akara@egemenbilgisayar.com.tr>
Subject:   Re: SMP support problem - panic: APIC: Previous IPI is stuck

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 08:49, Scott Long wrote:

> >>You sure you searched the mailing lists?  ;-)
> >

> >>Stephan Uphoff produced a patch that might fix it and posted to current@
> >
> > about it 2 weeks ago:
> >
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-November/043156.html
> >

> >>Jon
> >

> > Yes i have already read this but it says that:
> >
> > "The patch is a proof of concept and therefore not optimized".
> >
> > How can i try such a patch on o working remote high priority server?
> > Furthermore, there is no information in the main FreeBSD site about this
> > patch. I just want to learn that is there any way that guarantees to fix
> > this error?
> >
> > AyKuT
> >

> The patch represents work that is ongoing to fix the problem.  You can
> either help with that process by trying that patch, or wait patiently
> until someone else tries the patch for you and declares it good.  There
> is no information on the FreeBSD website about this patch because, well,
> it's a work in progress.  And there are no guarantees anywhere that
> any of this will work at all for you.  We even specify that clearly in
> our license =-)
>
> Scott

Hi,

I just posed a new patch on current.
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-November/043697.html

The last fix seems to have worked for all testers and this is the
promised optimized version.

I am highly confident that this will be the final solution but need
feedback from testers as I can not reproduce the problem locally.

	Stephan