Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:35:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        paulbeard@mac.com (paul beard)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: restoring disklabel from an active disk?

> Assuming I work out the partition sizes with the output of df -k,
> is there a way to determine the starting point for the slice that
> contains all my BSD partitions?

Now you are really talking fdisk stuff, not disklabel.

That's a different thing entirely and it really is relative to the
whole disk.    Since I generally have either the whole disk given
to FreeBSd or split between MS and FreeBSD where disklabel doesn't
pay attention the MS slice, I could be a little out of your specific
situation.

But, try looking at the disk with fdisk with no extra flags - just
the main disk name like da0 without slice info.
  like 'fdisk da0'
and it will print out what it thinks the slices are.
FreeBSD slices will have a sysid of 165.
How it starts and ends will depend a little on the disk itself
unless it is a SCSI disk (then you are lucky).

////jerry