Date:      Mon, 23 Jan 2006 07:56:54 +0100
From:      Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: fam vs gamin

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Are devel/fam and gamin supposed to be compatible?  They both provide
> a libfam, but since I switched from fam to gamin, my courier-imap is
> segfaulting.  This persists after I rebuild it.

The library should be 100% compatible, since gamin uses the fam
interface, but it doesn't implement all the fam functions (for a
complete list of differences look here:
http://www.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin/differences.html). If your
courier-imap doesn't do something unsupported in gamin, the libraries
should be completely interchangeble.
*But* I'm working at my real job on a project using gamin, and just
friday I found a very strange behaviour (probably a bug) of gamin with
kqueue backend monitoring a few directories with thousands of files
inside (lost or delayed events). Switching to polling solved the
problem, this is the reason I think it's a kqueue implementation bug.
Today I'll do other tests, more accurately. Stay tuned.

--
Alex Dupre