Date:      Thu, 18 May 1995 01:53:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940?

> > On Wed, 17 May 1995, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> >
> > > The drivers are identical, so the interupt time should be the same for
> > > driving either card on the same machine.  Your benchmark is not really
> > > valid since they were run on different motherboards.
> >
> >   To some extent.  It is instesting that a good EISA system can best a
> > poor PCI system.  Woe to those buying cheap PCI motherboards.
>
> My old 486DX33 ECS EISA/VLB Sis chipset with write back cache performs
> better at memory speed benchmarks than most cheap PCI motherboards
> by a large margin (29MB/sec on the EISA board, I have seen as low
> as 20MB/sec on some PCI boards for the same test, same memory size, same
> CPU chip])
>
> The fastest 486 PCI motherboard I have tested is the ASUS PCI/I-486SP3G,
> it uses 72 pin simms and memory interleaving (Ie, you *must* install
> simms in pairs).  With a DX4-100 CPU chip in this board you can beat
> almost every P5-60 out there in ``time make CLOBBER=true world'' given
> identical memory and disk setup.
>
> My data on the ASUS PVI-486AP4 is not comparible as it was done using
> a DX33 chip, but the gut feeling of the box is that it has okay, but
> not great memory bandwidth.  I was also running it with 1 8MB simm.
>
> Guess I should go configure the standard DX2/66 16MB on that board and
> run the test to see where it stacks up in the pile.

Okay, I stuck 16MB in it, a DX2/66 chip, and ram Poul's little test:
thump:rgrimes {103} ./ram-speed
49005fb0   0.758 uS/op 1.32e+06 op/S  5.033 Mb/S
8938c0df   0.432 uS/op 2.32e+06 op/S  8.833 Mb/S
thump:rgrimes {104}

Can you say dog ass slow!!!  Defanitly not a compile engine :-)

I use these boards for low end ISP machines doing things like DNS,
firewall box, mail router (outside box, no real users ever log into
them, this is just to get the mail accross the firewall).

I think I'll go play with the BOIS settings, and change the memory
to 4 pieces of 4MB simms to see if this thing might by chance like
to do memory interleaving.