Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2012 11:40:57 +0000
From:      Traiano Welcome <Traiano.Welcome@mtnbusiness.co.za>
To:        Mark Blackman <mark@exonetric.com>
Cc:        freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD: syslog-ng: I/O error occurred while writing; fd='xx', error='No buffer space available (yy)'

Hi Mark

On 22/03/2012 11:52, "Mark Blackman" <mark@exonetric.com> wrote:

>On 22 Mar 2012, at 09:00, Traiano Welcome wrote:
>
>>=20
>>=20
>> My question is: What does this error mean, and how can I resolve it?
>

>From a very casual inspection of the problem, I'd say you're pushing out
>syslog messages faster than the kernel can get them out the interface.
>How many syslog messages are going in (per second) and what kind of
>network interface are you trying to send them out through?

That's what I thought as well, but it's the details that evade me. Almost
all traffic to and from this server is UDP (syslog), the graph I sent
earlier shows the kind of volumes and trends that are typical: Peak
traffic during the problem periods averages at about 1 Mbps outbound and
200 Kbps inbound to/from the interface. The interface itself is a
Embedded Broadcom 5708 NIC on a Dell PowerEdge 1950.

Here are a couple of netstat polls during one of the problem periods:

----
[root@syslog2]# date;netstat -p udp -s |egrep -w
"(received|delivered|dropped)"
Thu Mar 22 12:11:34 SAST 2012
        19969 datagrams received
        2 dropped due to no socket
        0 dropped due to full socket buffers
        19967 delivered
.
.
.
[root@syslog2~]# date;netstat -p udp -s |egrep -w
"(received|delivered|dropped)"
Thu Mar 22 13:36:46 SAST 2012
        662385 datagrams received
        118 dropped due to no socket
        0 dropped due to full socket buffers
        662267 delivered
---

Somehow this doesn't strike  me as a large volume of throughput ...

>>=20
>> I have tried to frame this as an operating system kernel resource issue,
>> and experimented with increasing the freebsd kernel sysctls for UDP
>> performance:
>

>I think you can push nmbclusters up to about 600k, but if your input is
>running faster than your output, no amount of buffering will permanently
>stave off this problem.

I've done that just in the last 2 hours, though I agree with you that this
is probably a (very) temporary imrovement.