Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2002 08:53:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        suken woo <wsk@ns.gddsn.org.cn>
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, david@catwhisker.org
Subject:   Re: xdm can not login on current

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, suken woo wrote:

> >>xdm broken on current when login . i knew this is the pam module
> >>problem,but how could i fix it?
> >
> >Chances are, you built your X11 with an old -CURRENT system, and since
> >then the ABI for the PAM stuff has changed in -CURRENT, so your old X11 no
> >longer talks happily with your new PAM.  Remove and rebuild X11
> >(specifically xdm) and see if that helps.  Of course, you don't provide
> >any real details as to what the failure mode is, making this a little hard
> >to debug.  You might want to take a look at /var/log/messages and see if
> >xdm gives any specific errors.

Yup, looks like your xdm needs rebuilding.  Did you try that and see what
happens?  One hazard to running -CURRENT is occasionally you become
obliged to rebuild lots of applications when assumptions change.. Most
people bumped into this a few months ago, I think, so perhaps you just
updated world recently?

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories