Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2012 04:29:53 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        kaltheat@googlemail.com
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lagg failover issue

guys,

You can't override set the outbound MAC address of a wireless station.
It associates with the MAC address of the card/vap/device. The AP
_will_ store that MAC address in its node table.

When sending frames from a STA, the only available details are:

* source address - STA MAC
* destination BSS - the destination BSS MAC address, ie which AP to send to
* destination address - the destnation MAC

only in WDS (4-address) setups is there a fourth address, which is the
"actual original source MAC address". In this instance, the STA is
actually tunnelling traffic from other source MACs.

I don't know who started that lagg hack, but let me just be really
really clear - if you try sending the source frames out a wifi
interface with a source MAC that isn't the STA mac, it won't work. By
design. If it does work - it's a fluke and it's not portable.

What you really want is for the same IP to exist but only both
interfaces and have the source interface/MAC seamlessly change.

There've been proposals in the past for the STA side code to "proxy
STA" a bunch of other MACs behind it - using 3 address frames( ie, not
WDS) but keeping state as to which IP traffic is going to which MAC
address. No, net80211 in our tree doesn't have that support.

I hope that puts this all to rest.

Adrian