Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2006 16:58:45 -0500
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>
Cc:        Rob Watt <rob@hudson-trading.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel em receive hang and possible pr #72970

--nVMJ2NtxeReIH9PS

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 01:38:40PM -0700, Jack Vogel wrote:
> On 8/31/06, Rob Watt <rob@hudson-trading.com> wrote:
>=20
> >After poking around in various group/pr postings the most similar problem
> >that we found was PR #72970.
> >  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D72970
> >
> >Does it seem that we are encountering that bug? Is that bug fixed in
> >6.1-RELEASE, or is there an easy patch to 6.0-RELEASE (i.e. can we only
> >patch the em driver).
>=20
> That fix is only just into the STABLE code, so no, not in 6.1-RELEASE.
> You could take the tip of STABLE, but if you have only a 6.0 based
> system I know you are going to run into some backward incompatabililties.
> As a matter of fact I dont believe the STABLE tip will even build on
> RELEASE (something that I take issue with).
>=20
> Sounds like its at least possible this is your problem, worth setting up a
> system to test with I would say.

A driver built against 6.0-RELEASE should work with any 6.x kernel
unless someone screwed up unacceptably.  We to allow the addition of
new, optional features to the STABLE branch so we don't guarantee that
drivers will work with kernels older than they are.  The only reason the
em code at the tip of 6-STABLE might not build with 6.0 sources is that
it uses some enhancements.  If an individual maintainer wants to make
sure their driver will build with any sources they either need to not
use new features or use them inside appropriate ifdef __FreeBSD_version
sections.

-- Brooks

--nVMJ2NtxeReIH9PS

--nVMJ2NtxeReIH9PS--