Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 07:30:55 -0800
From:      richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        Chris Smith <chrissmith@mgci.com>
Cc:        "G. Jason Middleton" <gmiddl1@gl.umbc.edu>, Freebsd Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: hdd mirror

If you are going to back up filesystems do not use dd(1). This will copy bad
blocks, and it does not have error detection.

I recommend dump(8); I know it works because when I was at AMPEX R&D I created
a mirror to preserve the Video Systems Division's server's data by doing exactly
this, every morning at 0200, seven days a week.

(The system would reboot at 0200, then an entry in /etc/rc.local - this was
SunOS 3.x - would do a dump of the entire disk [disk-sized filesystem; the
director liked monoliths :-] and pipe it into a restore(8), on the spare drive.
We'd evaluated Ciprico controllers - they were brand new, the CEO himself came
to meet with us, he was the sole employee at that time - but they were too
expensive, for what could be done with a shellscript, once a day, instead.)

(This was around 1988; my gig at AMPEX ended with the big earthquake, in 1989.)

-- richard

Chris Smith wrote:

> If the data on your drive doesn't change too often, you might also try
> the lazy man's mirror:  dd and cron once a day
> Chris Smith                                 American Group Administrators
> IT Department                               First National Administrators

Richard A. Childers
Senor UNIX Administrator
fscked@pacbell.net (email)
415.664.6291 (voice/msgs)

# Providing administrative expertise (not 'damage control') since 1986.
# PGP fingerprint: 7EFF 164A E878 7B04 8E9F  32B6 72C2 D8A2 582C 4AFA