Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 14:31:28 -0700
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>, <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: make install trick

> I have soft updates enabled on a fast machine at work.  make
> installworld can fill up slash even though it has 15M free before the
> install.  I think this is a bug in softupdates that it doesn't reclaim
> space quickly enough or in overflow situations.

	It's really not a bug, it's just a missing feature. There's no requirement
that a filesystem reclaim empty space immediately. You really shouldn't be
using fastupdates on nearly full filesystems -- it doesn't handle that
situation particularly well.

	Once could even argue that it's preferable to force the make to abort than
thrash the filesystem. Though a switch to allow it to thrash might be
helpful in degenerate cases such as this.

	Fastupdates is great for the most common case -- a typical /usr or /home
partition. That's where you care about write performance anyway.

	DS