Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2001 14:06:59 +0200
From:      "Ari Suutari" <ari@suutari.iki.fi>
To:        "Philip Murray" <me@philth.net.nz>, "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: JDK1.1.8 segfaults

Hi,

> > Dear Philip,
> >

> > > I installed them using /stand/sysinstall, but it didn't work.
> > > Still segaults the same way.
> > >
> > You may have to tell ldconfig to rescan the directories. If the compat
lib
> > directory did not exist at boot time ldconfig will not look in it I
think.
> > The flags will be in the man page for ldconfig. You can also take the
> > Windows route and reboot.
> >

> Tried both, no luck. What else can I do?

    Are you sure that you didn't do my mistake:
    (when I had my brains off-line)

    - installed jdk 1.1.18
    - noticed that it wants libc.so.something which does not exist
    - copy current version over that name
    - 'java' now starts and segfaults....

    Remedy is to remove manually copied shared library file and
    install compat libraries as suggested by someone already.

        Ari S.