Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 2003 09:54:31 +0200
From:      Willie Viljoen <will@unfoldings.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kde3 on 300mhz / make package

On Saturday 08 February 2003 08:01, Andr=E9 Ramos wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 05:54, Peter wrote:
> > Hello,
> > 	I have a 300mhz, 128MB Ram pc standing here, and I'm thinking of
> > installing kde3 on there, does anyone know if that will be an alright
> > combination or would that be very slow / not worth it?  I have an
> > athlon 1800+, can I just remove my /etc/make.conf file, and do a "make
> > package" on here to build kde3 and later install it on the 300mhz pc?=20
> > As I'm planning to do a make package for kde 3.1, is that all that's
> > needed to make a package that could go on
> > ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/x11 ? If so I'd like
> > to start making some packages on this lazy 1800+.
> >

> > ---Peter---

> I personally wouldn't run KDE3 on a 300Mhz machine, well I wouldn't run
> on any machine, but on that one it just might get too heavy and slow.

I disagree. I run KDE 3.1 with all of the bells and wistles turned on on a=
=20
Celeron 333, performance compares favourably to Windows XP running on a=20
coworker's Duron 1300. All I would do before I set that up is to add some=20
RAM to that system. The Celeron 333 based system I use to run KDE 3.1 has=20
320MB of RAM, and I am even considering an upgrade to 512MB. KDE, ever=20
since 3.0, has been very RAM heavy, I wouldn't run it if I didn't have=20
atleast 256MB RAM.

With *EVERYTHING* nifty turned off, ie, making it look like Windows 95, I=20
have seen 3.0.3 run on systems with Pentium 150 processors with 32MB of=20
RAM, it's not pretty though and it takes about 5 seconds for any menu to=20
pop up, 5 seconds too long. If you find a "half-way" between this, it=20
should work nicely with 128MB, but than it would basically look and run=20
like KDE 2, and it wouldn't be worth the effort, IMHO.

Will

=2D-=20
Willie Viljoen
=46reelance IT Consultant