Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 05:31:56 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Zero Sum <count@shalimar.net.au>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Removal of Disklabel (was: Re: Dangerously Dedicated)

In message <200011200855.BAA20585@harmony.village.org>, Warner Losh
writes:
> In message <00112018421905.61849@shalimar.net.au> Zero Sum writes:
> : Does this allow multiple partitions on a zip?
>
> Yes, but fdisk is awkward to use for editing.

How about fdisk -e in similar vein as disklabel -e?

As the PC architecture requires, just use an fdisk partition rather
than a disklabel slice (slices are what UNIX vendors call them).  For
that matter I'd be happy if we removed disklabel from the picture
entirely.  I think that should be our goal.  The architecture requires
an fdisk label and disklabel is redundant.  It seems like a no-brainer
to me, just remove support for disklabel entirely.  Simple and end of
argument.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC