Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:01:36 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X pausing until mouse move (collecting commonalities)

Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>> Matthew Seaman wrote:
>
>>>   * Apply the patch to sysutils/hal you Joe Marcus Clarke posted
>>>     else-thread.  This had no discernable effect.
>> Which patch?  The first one or the second one?  The current one is 19996
>> bytes.  After applying it, you would need to restart hald, then restart X.
>
> Uh -- this version:
>
> lack-of-gravitas:/tmp:% ls -la hal.diff
> -rw-r--r--  1 matthew  wheel  18650 Mar 27 12:55 hal.diff
>
> I see you've updated the patch since -- I give the latest a try shortly.

Righty ho.  After some degree of flail getting the path to apply smoothly,
I've now managed to test the later patch -- although the size doesn't seem to
match up:

lack-of-gravitas:~:% ls -al /tmp/hal.diff
-rw-r--r--  1 matthew  wheel  20732 Mar 28 12:56 /tmp/hal.diff

Unfortunately this too doesn't cure the problem for me.  This time I was careful
to restart X with each combination of hald patched or not, hald running or not and
xorg-server compiled with and without the HAL option set.  Only toggling HAL in
xorg-server options makes a difference.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       Flat 3
                                                      7 Priory Courtyard