Date:      22 May 2007 20:18:59 -0400
From:      Brian Puppa <BrianPuppa@legacyproject.org>
To:        Homeschooler <doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Update on goal-setting resource

As you may know, the Legacy Project at www.legacyproject.org is
an education initiative with the nonprofit Parenting Coalition
and Generations United in Washington, DC. We have a new free
online goal-setting resource that many homeschoolers, parents,
and teachers are finding useful.

1) ACTIVITY SET: Teaching children to set goals and the skills to
achieve them is important to academic and personal success.
Research shows it's critical to get kids thinking early -- in
elementary and middle school grades -- about what's important to
them and why. Dreams and goals give life purpose, direction, and
meaning. They help young people build toward the future, and
offer a sense of control and hope.

The new Begin and End With a Dream activity set offers over two
dozen meaningful, literacy-based activities. A Star Highlights
sheet gets children to make a Top 10 List of the best memories
and things they've learned over the school year, while a Dream
Reading List encourages them to set summer reading goals. There
are ideas for making a Life List, inspiration for creating The
personal goals, and a Ladder to the Stars sheet for identifying
the steps to reaching a goal.

For the free online Begin and End With a Dream activity set:
www.legacyproject.org/guides/beginend.html

2) DREAM BOOK: To start a discussion about a child's dreams and
goals, we have our award-winning book "Dream: A Tale of Wonder,
Wisdom & Wishes" by author and educator Susan V. Bosak.

"Dream" is illustrated by 15 top children's illustrators, like
two-time Caldecott Medal winners Leo and Diane Dillon. The book
has won 11 national awards, including an International Reading
Association Children's Choice (10,000 children read and vote on
the books they like best), a Teachers' Choice, an iParenting
Award, and the Pinnacle Award for Best Gift Book.

Says The Bloomsbury Review, "This elegant book depicts the
journey of life -- from infancy to older adulthood --
highlighting all the hopes and dreams found along the way...
Inspirational quotes from people such as Martin Luther King Jr,
Sir Edmund Hillary, and Emily Dickinson are set alongside
gorgeous illustrations by internationally acclaimed artists.
Richly crafted and thoughtfully written, 'Dream' is a dazzling
project that challenges us to find a dream and follow it."

In addition to being a rich cross-curricular literacy resource,
"Dream" is a great gift book for life milestones like a
graduation, birth, birthday, even retirement. So, check out
"Dream" by Susan V. Bosak on the graduation gift display in the
children's section of bookstores like Barnes & Noble, Borders,
Chapters/Indigo, and Books-A-Million. You can also get a bonus
with your book purchase...

3) GET A BONUS: If you don't already have "Dream," it's worth
looking at. And if you do, you know it's worth giving to friends
and family.

When you go to your local bookstore to get "Dream" (Susan Bosak,
$17.95) between May 20 and June 17, 2007 and send us your
receipt, you get a special bonus -- Legacy Dollars you can redeem
for books, CDs, and posters. For example, one copy of "Dream"
would earn six Legacy Dollars, enough for a softcover copy of the
heartwarming bestseller "Something to Remember Me By," a story
about love across generations that many compare to "Love You
Forever."

For all the details,
www.legacyproject.org/books/specialdr.html

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. Also, please
pass along this e-mail to friends you think might be interested.
As a small educational group, we depend on word-of-mouth.

Best,

Brian Puppa
Program Director
Legacy Project