Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 2013 23:57:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Herring <dherring@tentpost.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: please document the pkg-ng repo problem

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> On 20/10/2013 03:00, Daniel Herring wrote:
>
>> pkg-ng has been broken for a year now (the public repo is nearly
>> useless), and I see no indication when the repo will be rebuilt.
>
> That's a bit hyperbolic don't you think?  Many people are using pkgng
> perfectly happily.

With inside knowledge of an actual working repo, this might seem
hyperbolic.  From the outside, there is a community of people who have
been getting less than useless information.  Suggestions have ranged from
"just use ports" to "build your own package repo".  My search for better
information ran across a couple blog rants about this.  This has been a
show-stopper for many who were affected.

A little documentation would have gone a long way.

> The good news is that this situation is about to change; imminently.
> Expect to see an announcement about http://pkg.freebsd.org/ in the near
> future.

Ok.  Rather than wasting our time further, I will patiently wait for this
announcement.

Thanks,
Daniel