Date:      Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:56:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Leon <leonmk@optonline.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Create device

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004, Leon wrote:

> I'm trying to create device by using command "MAKEDEV"
> But it does not work.
> What command can I use?

On 4.x MAKEDEV is a shell script, so you should type

sh MAKEDEV

...followed by your arguments. For example, 'sh MAKEDEV acd0t99'. And I
think you have to be in the /dev directory for this to work, since
that's where the MAKEDEV script is located. You also need to be root, or
equivalent (su or sudo).

MAKEDEV doesn't exist on 5.x, so if you're running 5.x that might also
explain it not working.

Those who are qualified to offer further suggestions (i.e. who know more
than I do) would certainly ask two questions: a) what version of FreeBSD
are you running (uname -a will tell you), and b) in what way does it
"not work?" That is, exactly what do you type, and what is the system's
response?

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]