Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 2015 17:25:28 -0700
From:      "Chris H" <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
To:        J David <j.david.lists@gmail.com>, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Significant memory leak in 9.3p10?

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 14:03:45 -0700 Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> wrote

> On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 12:46 PM, J David <j.david.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 7:52 PM, J David <j.david.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> > disks,
> > which
> > >
> > > If that's the explanation, how could it be
> > > detected/measured/investigated/resolved/prevented?
> > >
> > > Under ordinary circumstances, machines will go run like this for
> > days/weeks:
> > >
> > > Mem: 549M Active, 3623M Inact, 567M Wired, 3484K Cache, 827M Buf, 3156M
> > Free
> > > Swap: 1024M Total, 1024M Free
> > >
> > > Then, when this happens, it rapidly degrades from that to so bad that
> > > processes start getting killed for being out of swap space.
> >
> > These FreeBSD machines running out of swap space and dying continues
> > to be a daily problem causing outages and unscheduled reboots.  Is
> > there really no way to even research what might be causing the
> > problem?
> >
> > (Widening the cross-posting in the hopes of eliciting more help, so
> > the brief summary of the problem orginally posted to freebsd-stable is
> > that an unknown actor consumes all the user-space memory in the
> > system, including swap space, to the point where processes are killed
> > for being out of swap space, but if every process on the machine is
> > stopped, very little of the user-space memory in use is freed.
> > Original message with more details is here:
> > https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2015-March/081986.html
> > .)
> >
> > There are no tmpfs mounts or md disks, so it would have to be one of
> > the other causes.  How can FreeBSD's use of persistent, anonymous
> > shared memory objects be investigated, measured, or controlled so we
> > can get a handle on this issue?
> >

> This is just a shot in the dark and not a really likely one, but I have had
> issues with Firefox leaking memory badly. I can free the space by killing
> firefox and restarting it.
>
> It seems to be linked to certain web sites, probably javascript. I have not
> been able to confirm which one does it. It just will start growing until
> the system slows to a crawl as too many things are swapped out. Normally my
> system does not touch swap.
I can confirm this -- both regular, as well as ESR. Upgrading firefox
[ultimately] has little-to-no effect. I have experienced this for near
2yrs. I suspect the [firefoxes] js engine. Any one of any number of
sites could/would/will cause it.

As Kevin already noted; stopping firefox, and starting it again,
seems the only solution.