Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:11:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Andrew Atrens" <atrens@nortelnetworks.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Subject:   Re: cd writer recommendation?

Hi Amancio,

I've got a:

acd0: <HP CD-Writer+ 7200/V:003.01> CDROM drive at ata1 as master
acd0: drive speed 1034KB/sec, 768KB cache
acd0: supported read types: CD-R, CD-RW, CD-DA, packet track
acd0: supported write types: CD-R, CD-RW, test write
acd0: Audio: play, 128 volume levels

(HP 7200i) which works great. Burning is done via wormcontrol + dd as per
Soren's recommendations. Data starvation was never a problem with my old
430Tx based motherboard, but became a problem when I moved up to Asus
P5A/ALi board. The solution, it turns out, was to give dd a larger
input/output block size - 20k instead of 2k (yes, I used team, and no, it
didn't solve the problem ;)).

Unfortunately there is no FreeBSD/cdrecord support for this or any other
ATAPI drive. I've suggested to Soren that it wbn if his ATAPI stuff was
layered under CAM, since this might possibly make porting things like
cdrecord a bit more straightforward. As I understand it though the ATAPI
spec is such that ATAPI devices can fail in ways that are not currently
handled by CAM so this wouldn't be, shall we say, `a piece of cake'. So,
as the saying goes beggars can't be choosers, and I am happy with and
grateful for all of Soren's efforts. :)

To conclude, I like 7200i, the FreeBSD support is reasonable (for what I
need), and this device is somewhat cheaper than it's SCSI cousins.

Cheers,

Andrew.

--
+--
| Andrew Atrens                 Nortel Networks, Ottawa, Canada. |