Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2002 02:24:22 +0100 (MET)
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        Wouter Vijvers <woutje@chello.nl>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: A bunch of questions (long)

Hi!

Can not answer all your questions, but...

> DNS/Name resolving:
> ===================
> I've noticed problems with name resolving. First, sendmail took ages to
> start up on boot, so I disabled it (temporarily). It was probably
> waiting for a lookup to time out.
> [snip]
> Do I need to set up a (cache/internal) name-server? I thought this
> wasn't necessary. Right now, this computer hasn't a valid hostname (in
> the sense that it exists on the internet). Is that the problem?

Your /etc/host.conf file probably looks like this:
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/host.conf,v 1.6 1999/08/27 23:23:41 peter Exp $
# First try the /etc/hosts file
hosts
# Now try the nameserver next.
bind
# If you have YP/NIS configured, uncomment the next line
# nis

If it can not find a name matching in the hosts file it tries a dns
lookup.

Try the following steps, and hopefully your problem will be solved:

In /etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1     localhost     localhost
a.b.c.d       my_host_name  my_host_name

In /etc/rc.conf:
hostname="my_host_name"

I had a similar problem, and this solved my problem. The differences
in the above solution (which I hope is a solution :-) and mine, is that
I also have a domain name, and hence my files looks as follows (the set
up is a firewall with dynamic ip, NAT, and an internal 192.168 network):
/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1     localhost.my.domain.net     localhost
192.168.0.1   fw.my.domain.net            fw

/etc/host.conf:
hostname="fw.my.domain.net"

This works ok for me, so try something similar if things do not work,
and hopefully something you try will work. :-)

> Greets,
> Wouter

Best regards,
Paul