Date:      Sat, 06 Mar 2004 09:33:05 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Jason Williams <jwilliams@courtesymortgage.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions regarding Sendmail on FreeBSD

Jason Williams wrote:
> I've been playing with Sendmail for a couple of weeks now and I feel
> pretty comfortable with it. Lately, what i've done is just download the
> source code for sendmail and build and compile as needed. It still works
> fine.

There's nothing wrong with that approach, although if you keep up-to-date with
the FreeBSD sources, you're going to get something which resembles
sendmail.org releases very closely.

> However, I have some questions about how Sendmail comes setup default on
> a FreeBSD system. For instance, there are quite a few directories and
> locations of where sendmail items are located and im confused as to why
> everything is where it is and why there are duplicate files.
>
> For instance:
>
> mail# find / -type d -name sendmail -print
> /usr/libexec/sendmail

This is the place where MTA-specific binaries go; see "man mailwrapper" for
considerations about swapping in a different MTA like Postfix or qmail.

> /usr/share/sendmail

This is where the installed cf files are kept for a system that does not have
sources.

> /usr/src/contrib/sendmail
> /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/include/sendmail

These are where the real sources are kept.

> /usr/src/etc/sendmail

This is a template for /etc/mail which gets generated during the source build
process.

> /usr/src/share/sendmail

Source code repositiory for the cf files mentioned above.

> /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail

This is a link to src/contrib/sendmail

> I'm a bit confused on why everything is spread out the way it is and was
> looking for some feedback to help me understand this more.
> For instance, if I was to install a patch (lets say the patch if you
> dont have 8.12.10) I would need to navigate to the source directory for
> the default sendmail on FreeBSD...where is that directory?

/usr/src/contrib/sendmail

--
-Chuck