Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 18:04:49 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        adhir@forumone.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suggest increasing PMAP_SHPGPERPROC

adhir@forumone.com wrote:

> An excerpt from my security check output:
>
> > orion.forumone.com kernel log messages:
> > pmap_collect: collecting pv entries -- suggest increasing PMAP_SHPGPERPROC

> So, can anyone:
>
>         1.  tell me what this means

	pv entries come into effect when you have several programs sharing the
same virtual memory address space. When one of them forks the pv entries
allow the kernel to know which pages of physical memory to map into the new
virtual space.

>         2.  tell me how to increase it

	Check out LINT. We've cranked it up to 800 on a -current system to
accomodate some honkin' big apache processes we've got running. I know
people that've increased it to 1,000 on -Stable. The default is 200, so try
increasing it by steps of 200 until you no longer see that error.
Increasing it to a larger value than needed will just waste precious kernel
memory address space.

Good luck,

Doug