Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 1995 16:08:05 -0700
From:      patl@asimov.volant.org
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange networking problem with 2.0.5

Hi,

I'm running 2.0.5 as a gateway machine between my LAN and the Internet.
I'm using Ethernet for the LAN, and a 28.8Kb modem with iijppp for the
connection to my Internet access provider.  It is mostly working fine,
but I am experiencing two problems.

1.  The link spontainiously drops rather frequently.  It isn't timeouts,
    and I haven't been able to determine whether the problem is at my end,
    their end, or with the phone line itself.

    This isn't a major problem since I can just set up a ping with a
    sixty second interval to make sure the line is re-opened if necessary.

2.  After a while (several hours to a few days - averages about two days),
    it will get into a state where I can't make high-level connections
    (e.g. finger) from the gateway to outside machines.  Ping and traceroute
    still work fine, and incomming mail/http/etc. connections still work fine,
    but outgoing connections just hang.  Re-starting the connection, or even
    killing and re-starting the ppp process has no effect; the only way I've
    found to fix it is to re-boot.

    Any advice on how to find out what's going on here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Pat

My opinions are my own.  For a small royalty, they can be yours as well...
Pat Lashley, Senior Software Engineer, Henry Davis Consulting
patl@Phoenix.Volant.ORG  ||  http://Phoenix.Volant.ORG/  ||  lashley@netcom.com