Date:      Fri, 12 May 1995 11:18:11 -0700
From:      "Steve Galle" <steveg@wavefront.wti.com>
To:        AlexAdroog@aol.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: MSDOS Partition

Alex (and anyone else who hasn't yet made the same mistake I did!),

You have a time bomb on your hands. Mine just blew a few days ago. The problem
is that even though you did the fdisk and set the new partitioning, the
disklabel is still telling dos it has the whole disk to play with. Of course, a
bunch of it is no longer doses (uh, that's dos es) property. This will
eventually let dos do something you'll really wish it hadn't. I don't know what
the most graceful way to recover from this is; probably you'll need to back up
the dos partition, change the disklabel to reflect the changes to your drive
partitions, and (probably) reload from your backup. Maybe someone else has a
better solution. The only thing I can suggest is that you should probably fix
the condition before it forces you to do so. It has really unpleasant ways of
letting you know you need to take care of the problem.

This should also probably be made known as a possible problem at install
time...

Good luck; drop me a line if someone feeds you a better solution.

-steve