Date:      Sun, 09 Jun 1996 12:54:39 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams), hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org, Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Subject:   Re: The -stable problem: my view

Reference:
> From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
>
> The question here seems to be "how can we give the users a tree which
> always builds", right?  Well, that's certainly not a new question.
> Even crazed expatriate brits like Julian Stacey have been calling for
> that sort of scheme for years! :-)

You called ?  :-)

Re. CVS:
  I suggest, for future policy, (& not WRT past history :-) ...
  Anyone who wantonly breaks Current (& forces everyone to need make -i)
  for more than the duration of a single short commit session,
  should have his commits backed out, & CVS privelege suspended
  for 7 days, during which the person is free to meditate on the disruption
  caused, & to prepare new better tested diffs.
  After initial rigorous enforcement, only occasional later enforcement
  would be required.   Only exception: After _prior_ posted permission
  from CVS master, where breaking the tree is certified as really unavoidable.

Re. Stable:
  I suggest boring work is best left to those with a paid incentive.
  `Stable' is a quasi-professional service:
  	( A labour intensive mix of some `current' technology plus testing ),
  & is a burden on unpaid volunteers.
  So leave boring work to those with a financial incentive, who could be:
	- External support services that may set up, offering for
	  FreeBSD, services similar to that which Cygnus offers for FSF.
	- Custom consultantcy & support people or firms.
	- A FreeBSD Inc. funded `stable' maintenance group if Jordan & co.
	  drum up sufficient funds from commercial users.
	- If Walnut Creek Inc determine `Stable' to be of financial benefit to
	  WC inc, then those people funded by WC.
  Serious@freebsd.org
  is (or was) available, for companies prepared to pay serious commercial
  amounts of money (upwards of hundreds of dollars I suggest) for commercial
  support. Such paid work could include Stable maintenance).

Personal Disclosure:
  I am a Unix developer/supporter, with personal & business interests in
  Releases & Current, but no `Stable' paying customers or hosts.

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/