Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 08:38:35 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@wjv.com>
To:        Fabrizio Ravazzini <freefabri@yahoo.it>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMTP very very slow!

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 02:06:15PM +0200, Fabrizio Ravazzini thus sprach:
> I tried to telnet on the port 25 of the FreeBSD box
> but the daemon hanged me there for several minutes and
> then answered and all worked ok.
> This also for the pop3, when I try to poll the FreeBSD
> machine I have to wait several minutes to get an
> answer, but after that all works well.

Slow ftp/telnet/xxx seems to be one of the most frequently asked
questions on any Unix related group I've seen and it all boils
down to three letters   DNS.

The far side agents try to authenticate the name by looking up from
the IP they get.   If there is no reverse mapping - it can take well
over a minute to search all their namesevers for a possible match -
then it will 1) let you login or 2) reject you completely - and a
great many sites will reject you if you can be authenticated.

You can control the DNS for your machines.  Make sure everthing is
correct AND that whereever you get service from is properly
reversing your names.  If not change providers - like I had to.

--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com