Date:      Mon, 08 Feb 2010 10:01:05 +1100
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's UFS vs Ext4

Frank Shute wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 01:41:29AM +1100, alex wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Today I reformatted a machine (network server) thats run FreeBSD nonstop
>> for at least the last 3 years and installed linux on it. I have a raid 0
>> setup with 2 hard disks in the very same machine.
>>

> So you had a machine that had run non-stop for 3 years yet you replace
> the OS. Clever.

Yes I replaced the OS. Because the box was to also be a PBX (running
asterisk, instead of just being a file server/web server for running
local web apps). I was continually getting coredumps with asterisk.
After filing numerous bug reports and hitting dead ends with the
asterisk devs, I had enough, because none of them knew how to debug the
problem under freebsd, I got fed up and moved the box over to linux, and
to my surprise, no more core dumps.

>> I see a number of factors putting freebsd behind:
>>
>> * The teams stubbornness with compiler/base tools (wont move away from
>> gcc 4.2.1 because they just cant accept the GPL2)
>>

> They don't like the license, that's not stubbornness.

Wow thats a good reason to use ancient compilers and assemblers.
>> * The teams stubbornness with the base system binutils (which cause
>> mplayer and other multimedia applications not to build, unless a newer
>> version is installed)
>>

> Nonsense.

You dont see having a set of binutils thats not SSE3 or SSE4 capable as
a problem? It's nonsense?
>> Using such an old compiler must have a performance impact on the OS. I
>> say this because compilers improve over time, they generate better,
>> tighter, more optimized code. The binutils shipped with freebsd is more
>> than 5 years old now.
>>

> A codes age has nothing to do with it's performance.

Clearly you know nothing about how compilers generate and optimize code.
If this isnt a problem, why would new versions of gcc and binutils
continue to surface. Well I can see three obvious reasons, improved code
generation, bug fixes, new features.
>> It's not just my personal test that has shown that linux is ahead in
>> numerous areas (performance wise), but the recent phoronix benchmarks
>> that were released when FreeBSD 8 came out, were pretty damning.
>>

> Link please.

Sure, no problem, enjoy:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=freebsd8_benchmarks&num=1

Go on, I am waiting for you to poke holes and attempt to totally
invalidate those benchmarks too.
>> I'd like to see what the FreeBSD team has to say on this.
>>
>> Alex
>>

> Despite your FreeBSD T-shirt ownage, your post is a troll.
>
> Nobody's interested in your bogus benchmarks & opinions on matters
> that you are not knowledgeable of.
>

> Regards,

I guess you cant see the difference between a troll and a complaint. I
have been using freebsd since the 4.x days.  It seems you have quite a
chip on your shoulder, frank.

Alex.