Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 17:07:41 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        "Mark L. Holloway" <mlholloway@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 3.1 Upgrading

On Wed, May 19, 1999 at 06:11:41AM -0700, Mark L. Holloway wrote:
> Ok, so CVSUP is the way to go then.. No problem.  But what is the
> "
upgrade" option in /stand/sysinstall for?

It is another method of upgrading, also known as "binary" upgrade.
It could be used if you want to upgrade your system from the CD.
It preserves your local changes, /etc/passwd, for example.

> At one point I tried using that feature and after the upgrade was
> complete I rebooted the machine and the kernal wouldn't load..
> When the first prompt comes up that says something like "Press Enter
> to continue loading or wait..9..8..7..6..5..4..and it counts down to 0,
> it just refreshes that screen over and over because it cannot find the
> kernal [the original get backed up a kernal.prev].

* By default, a three-stage bootstrap is employed, and control is automati-
* cally passed from the boot blocks (bootstrap stages one and two) to a
* separate third-stage bootstrap program, /boot/loader. This third stage
* provides more sophisticated control over the booting process than it is
* possible to achieve in the boot blocks, which are constrained by occupy-
* ing limited fixed space on a given disk or slice.
*
* However, it is possible to dispense with the third stage altogether, ei-
* ther by specifying a kernel name in the boot block parameter file,
* /boot.config, or by hitting a key during a brief pause (while one of the
* characters -, \, |, or / is displayed) before /boot/loader is invoked.
* Booting will also be attempted at stage two, if the third stage cannot be
* loaded.

Have you tried to load your /kernel this way?
If it works this way, then the problem is probably with the boot blocks not
being updated by sysinstall.

After you have booted your system, you can upgrade the boot blocks on your
root drive with the following command:

# disklabel -B da0

My example assumes that your primary (root) disk is attached to the SCSI
bus.  If it is attached to the IDE bus, then use wd0 instead of da0, or
whatever your root disk is.

> Anyway, while performing a "make world" does your system need to be
> offline or can it remain online?

This is all in the below mentioned tutorial.

Since FreeBSD 2.2.5, it is now possible to split the makeworld process
in two distinct phases.  The first phase is called ``buildworld''.
It rebuilds the entire system in /usr/obj without touching you system
in any way.  This _could_ be done in multi user.  The second phase is
called ``installworld''.  It installs the new system.  This _should_ be
done in single user, and it takes much less time than the first phase.
For example, last time I did it, buildworld was running about 3 hours,
while installworld took only 15 minutes to install the entire system.

> Thanks!  I appreciate it..

You are welcome!

Cheers,
--